kidspiration
-NOUN /KIDSPƏˈRĀSHƏN/
1. a child, group of children, or actions of a child/group of children that elicits actions or emotions or creativity in adults 
2. an event or visual reminder that stimulates youthful creativity 
3. a creation or action specifically designed for the purpose of entertaining and inspiring youth
For inquiries and orders, please e-mail Casey at
kidspiredcreations@gmail.com.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

A Little Birdie Nursery


After 9 long months, our precious pink has finally joined our nest of blues!
Meet Lena Marie
Big Brothers, Little Sister
The Kidspired Creations shop is still closed while we attempt to adjust to our new life as a family of FIVE, but for now, I am super excited to FINALLY share the completed nursery with you!  Ever since I first learned I was pregnant with #1, I began to plan both a baby girl and baby boy nursery.  Well, I got to use the baby boy nursery twice, so this nursery has been 5 years in the making!  Enjoy!!!
(I am not a great photographer... I apologize now.)

A very special heirloom:
The crib was given to me by my Grandma Lena when I was a baby.
Ignore the light fixture... it is still a work in progress.
I am waiting to recuperate before climbing on  a ladder.
The armoire and two end tables on either side of the crib
were great garage sale finds:  $40 for all 3 pieces!

Total room makeover:  just under $300.
Here's how it all went down...

Fantastic Finds:

a.  BIRDHOUSES:  On sale at Hobby Lobby for 50% off!!!
b.  BIRD BLANKET:  Gift from Mimi from Pottery Barn Kids
c.  BIRD CAGES:  Antique store find + spray paint
     BRANCHES:  FREE - from a vine that was growing on our back fence; once the leaves fell off, I rescued them from our burn pile before my husband could turn them all to ash
d.  BIRD CAGE SILHOUETTE:  Gift from Aunt Crista from World Market

Re-Purposed Finds:

a.  PICTURE FRAMES turned ARTWORK:  30% off at Kirkland's:  scrapbook paper birds instead of pictures
b.  WOODEN FRAME turned WINDOW:  $13 from the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby!
     LETTERS:  50% off from Hobby Lobby:  wrapped in yarn with hand-made burlap flowers.
c.  1/2 of a WOODEN CHAIR turned SHELF:  Antique store find:  $4!  
Cashier:  "You do realize you're missing most of this chair?"  Why, yes.  Who needs a seat anyway?
d.  BIRD CAGE HOOK turned BOW HOLDER:  30% off at Hobby Lobby; hot glue + 3 ft. of ribbon = bow holder!

Hand Made Touches:

a.  BURLAP ALPHABET:  hand-stitched yarn letters on dark/natural burlap, then spray glued on a piece of cream burlap, hung by a branch found in our back yard
b.  GLIDER COVER:  Thanks to You Tube and several long-distance phone calls to my aunt, I learned to sew.  I recovered this glider that before had a very boy-specific cover.
c.  BLANKET:  Pinterest-inspired
d.  PAINTING:  I painted this months before I was even pregnant.  Perfect painting of a "seasoned tree" giving fruit to a new, spring tree... I think it represents me and my daughter.
e.  BURLAP CURTAINS:  Just cut and hang, pretty much!  The only hand-stitching I did was to re-enforce the holes for the tree branch rod so the burlap wouldn't fall apart there.
f.  BABY BUMPER:  Using the same materials as the blanket, I recovered the boys' old crib bumper to save money.
    PILLOW LETTERS:  Hand-made by my super talented Aunt Barbara (see above [b.]... that's her).

Finishing Touches:

a.  LAMPS:  $14 from Ross - these shades were originally white with the black flower outlines.  Using acrylic paint, I painted inside all the lines.
     BOOK:  Gift from Mimi:  Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids by Sarah
b.  BURLAP BIRD:  Not on sale from Hobby Lobby (I couldn't resist and forgot my coupon)
c.  CHALKBOARD:  This is the same chalk board I used for all of my monthly maternity pictures.
d.  BIRD:  I used scrap material from the glider to make this bird.
e.  TUTU:  Same material as her bedding and blanket.  I made it adjustable for her monthly "Watch Me Grow" pictures
     KNOBS:  50% off from Hobby Lobby - added a cute touch to the armoire, end tables and closet doors.
f.  NESTS:  50% off from Hobby Lobby - perfect for socks balled up to look like bird eggs, and hair accessories


Oh, and P.S., this Mommy and Baby needed the perfect matching accessory to tote around town...
A BURLAP DIAPER BAG!
Made by my dear friend, Jess, of Southern Handmade in Heels!




4 comments:

  1. Wow you are so creative! The room is georgous! Saw your link on the 27 names nursery on BBC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, thanks for stopping by the blog yesterday :) It's good to connect and it's good to know others get where you are coming from.
    Your little girls room is amazing! The details are exquisite! I nearly swooned over the burlap bag- if I wanted one how would I go about that? I didn't see any listed in her shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by! Jess does ALL custom orders! You can e-mail her personally at therobertsfamily04@gmail.com with any inquiries.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, this is Casey! Thank you for your interest in Kidspired Creations! Please leave a message below so I know that you stopped by and please, e-mail me at kidspiredcreations@gmail.com if you have any questions about my art.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...